Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Ancient Spartan Women

 


Read all of the informative blog postings on Spartan women then think about the people you know and identify someone you know with these qualities (intelligent, brave, "outspoken", and strong), and explain why they would make a good Spartan.

(The person you identify can be male/female), then write a blog post about the person)


Mrs. Lombardi's Blog post 


I would compare my mom to a Spartan woman. She is very intelligent and would always help me with my homework.I was always told as a young girl to do my best in school and give 100%.


 

Ancient Spartan Ruins






Ancient Spartan WomenSpartans saw their nation as the center and not the family. At age 7 boys were taken from their home and sent to military training camps. These young boys were to become great military warriors and would never return home to live. At age 30 they were allowed to set up their own home but they would not eat with their family. Husbands dedicated their entire life to the military and little time was spent with family.

Since the men and boys were away training in the military it was up to the women to run the household. Girls were given an education in both the arts and athletics. Women also owned more than a third of the land. Spartan women were said to be bold, intelligent and brave.





Spartan Woman









 


Link Discussing Ancient Spartan Women

http://www.womenintheancientworld.com/women%20in%20sparta.htm
 

Link Discussing Ancient Sparta

http://www.sikyon.com/Sparta/history_eg.html





 







18 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    I am very impressed with the amount of work you have put into your blog. Your postings are full of information and I like the fact that you broke up the information units into separate postings.

    You may want to make your first posting a bit more specific since it is the instructions to the students. For example you may just want to add the following. " Read all of the informative blog postings on Spartan women then think about the people you know and identify someone you know with these qualities and explain why they would make a good Spartan. (The person you identify can be male/female), then write a blog post about the person"

    Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing the progress in your work and the responses from your classmates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Professor Rey, Thanks for the suggestion. I agree, giving the students more direction will make blogging more productive and enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog lisa. There is alot of great information in every post. I was thinking that maybe you could add some guidelines to your question so that it could be more specific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William, great suggestion! I will give an example of someone I would write about.

      Delete
  3. Great blog Lisa! The information you provided is a great source for students to learn about Spartan women. I would also suggest that you have the students read the prior blog posts for information on Spartan women so they can answer their question properly and maybe give an example of someone you would write about and why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, great suggestion!! I will give the students more direction with my instructions and give an example of someone I would write about.

      Delete
  4. Great suggestion Liz, giving the students models would be a wonderful addition to the blog and would also help in making sure that the students complete the project in the way the teacher wants it done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Lisa I love your blog! I like the idea to relate Spartan women to someone in our lives! very creative. My suggestion would be to oragainze you blog with every thing in one blog post. That way the students have all of thier information needed in one place. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess, Thank you for the suggestion!! I changed my blog and it is

    more organized and it looks much better!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! it looks great! nice job!. putting everything into one post really made a difference.

      Delete
  8. Lisa, I would have loved to have seen more information and more visuals. Visuals will help the children connect more to your topic. Other than that, I like the picture you have chosen as your background. And I really enjoy the fact that you will have them connect traits of Spartans to someone in their life. This makes teaching and learning easier because now they can connect this unit to real life. It will make more sense and understanding to what they have learned! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee, Good suggestion. I will put up more pictures. I agree that visuals will help the students connect more to the topic.

      Delete
  9. Great job Lisa! I agree with Jess, everything looks much better and less confusing with everything in one post. One suggestion that I have would be to model what you expect from your students by putting up your own example of a woman that you might know that might remind you of a spartan woman. I am wondering why Spartan women did not eat with their family. Very interesting! Great information Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Christine! I agree with your suggestion. I will give more direction by putting up an example of someone I would write about.

    ReplyDelete